The Art Director is responsible for the execution quality of initial ideas and finished projects. The Art Director chooses photographic styles, illustrative styles, talent, and any props necessary to create projects. The Art Director is not only responsible for the "look" of an advertisement, but also works with copy and account partners to develop the concept. He/she creates rough layouts. Once a rough layout for an advertisement is approved internally, the Art Director may use someone from the Creative Specialists Group to produce the best promotional piece possible, allowing the Art Director to move on to creating the next promotional concept.
Description of Duties
- Executes creative thinking and visual choices:
- Formulates layouts and visual approaches and specifies details, such as style and size of type, photographs, graphics, animation, video, and sound.
- Utilizes the most effective vehicle for the tactic: print, electronic, multimedia.
- Initiates multiple concepts and sketches.
- Conceptualizes and helps design interfaces for multimedia games, e-mails, and convention pieces.
- Prepares detailed storyboards showing sequence and timing of story development for video/animated productions.
- Ensures that the appropriate form of execution is used for the project (clinical vs promotional, branded vs unbranded).
- Assists in workload management when needed:
- Provides detailed direction to Specialists Supervisor, Design Specialist/Design Director, or Desktop Specialist.
- Reviews and approves proofs.
- Attends outside productions (video/photo), managing the set design and working with wardrobe.
- Confers with team to determine objectives, budget, background information, and presentation approaches, styles, and techniques.
- Interacts with clients:
- Assists in presenting creative ideas and solutions to clients.
- Advises clients on all technical visual recommendations and issues.
- BA/BFA degree preferred, with coursework emphasis in illustration, graphic design, commercial/visual arts, or advertising.
- With a BA/BFA degree, 3+ years of art experience in an agency setting and 1+ year of pharmaceutical experience.
- With less than a BA/BFA degree, 6–8 years of related experience in an agency setting, including 2+ years of pharmaceutical experience, are required.
- Exceptional computer skills. Knowledge of Macintosh operating platform a must. PC understanding a plus. Thorough knowledge of the following software applications is required: Adobe InDesign, Acrobat, Illustrator, and Photoshop and Microsoft PowerPoint and Word.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and provide marketable solutions in conceiving, developing, and producing tactics.
- Mastery of composition techniques in producing polished final pieces (ie, attention to detail, good knife, and understanding of multimedia).
- Comprehensive computer photo retouching and image development skills.
- Demonstrated, complete understanding of:
- Color theory and color relationships.
- Typographic terms that identify type forms and specifications
(ie, points, leading, picas, kerning, tracking, cap height, x-height, etc).
- Perspective and space relationships.
- Page composition and grid structures.
- Print production process and production techniques.
- Photography and the photographic process.
- Nuances of pharma or heavily regulated industry: prominence issues, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Work under constant pressure.
- Always meet deadlines.
- Communicate thorough knowledge of assigned product
- Present work and work of the team to clients.
- Provide effective direction at photo shoots.
- Effectively check and approve work on press.
- Effectively collect electronic materials for output.
- Effectively handle multiple assignments at one time.
- Manage challenging situations internally and with clients.
- Command respect of freelancers and designers and effectively oversee their work.
inVentiv Health, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other protected status. If you require accommodation due to a disability in order to complete the application process, please contact our EEO Administrator at 781-425-4600 or by email at CorporateHumanResources@inventivhealth.com.